Sunday, June 15, 2008

Mosques Sultan Hassan and Al Rifa'i

Today I took the initiative to try to plan a trip just here in Cairo! I wanted to see the Citadel, and I only have one class today, so I decided to see if people wanted to come with me to see the Citadel... and suprisingly Darshan, Tim, and Austyn (a girl) wanted to come with... so we made a fun trip out of it! When we finally got to the Citadel, we got distracted, by these two Mosques (in the picture, and yes those are two different Mosques)... And we took an adventure to see them as opposed to the citadel, we thought we had time to see all three places... not so much, but hey that mean another adventure for me!

Anyway, what is interesting about these two mosques, besides how closely together they were built, but there is a 300+ year difference between the two... The Mosque on the left is Sultan Hassan, and it is the older of the two buildings... I thought this mosque was beautiful, it was more open to the elements, and just interesting to look at... It also houses the coffin of Sultan Hassan in a room behind the main area of the Mosque, and the Mosque is still a running Madrassa, which means school in Arabic... but what is interesting is that this school teaches Islamic Law and Religion it is not like Catholic or Christian schools that teach a wide range of things as well as Christian Beliefs, which I though was interesting...

After we went through Sultan Hassan, we went next door to Al Rifa'i... which was a much newer mosque, but still very beautiful, and def having an attention to details with in it... the Al Rifa'i mosque seems to be the resting place of many Sultans and Kings of Egypt... we saw the tombs of King Faruk, the last King of Egypt, as well as some Sultan who was the last Sultan of Egypt... and for both of these men, their Wives were also buried there, some having more than one wife... What was funny about this Mosque was that I had to wear this cover up that was green and a long robe type thing, it is something they give to people to wear when they are not modest or showing skin where they should not be, and well I was a girl wearing short sleeved shirt... unfortunately I do not have any pictures of me looking like a leprechaun... but my friends do... so I will get those and post them...

By the Time we were done with the two Mosques, the Citadel had closed, but it was a hot afternoon, so it was nice to had back to the dorm and study... My Politics Class I have a map quiz on Wednesday... which I am not looking forward to... ewwwww map tests... Well till something else happens...

1 comment:

Evie said...

DUDE!!! It looks and sounds like you're having an AWESOME time over there! I'm so jealous and SOOO glad you got that opportunity! I love reading about your adventures, they're so colourful!