Thursday, June 5, 2008

Landed... and all seems fine...

Well I have finally landed... anticipation aside... I am tired as hell and still in the same clothes... gross... needless to say there is a story behind that!

It all started with being delayed 2 hours at Dulles... the first hour or so we were in the plane sitting at the gate... then we started moving, and my hopes started to get up... just to come crashing down... we sat on the Tarmac for another hour... but that is ok... I might still be able to make my connecting flight!!! WRONG... When I landed in Heathrow in terminal 3... my connecting flight was in Terminal 1 and a long walk and only 30 minutes to get there... NOT HAPPENING... so I was rebooked for an afternoon flight to Cairo... but I got to London at 9 am... and my flight was leaving at 3 pm... so I had to entertain myself... while the entire time all I want to do is sleep but I really cant... which just sucked...

I finally got onto my new connecting flight... and of course we are DELAYED... it seemed to be following me... I felt there was bad juju or something about my flights... but I did not let it bother me.. because I had already called Teddy and woke him up so that way he could contact some one here in Cairo to that way I could be picked up and at the new time and flight as opposed to the old one I submitted... Well we finally lifted off and I slept... because I was tired... but that also means I slept through food... :-(...

As I was flying over Cairo it was absolutely beautiful... the lights were so fun, and it was a dream come true...Well I finally land in Cairo... get into the Customs line and well just wait... since I choose the line that moved the slowest... go figure... finally get through and then I try to track down my luggage... my giant green honking bag that has been with me on all my travels overseas... maybe this was the bad juju or something but while we were in Dulles one of my wheels broke...but like I said I try not to read to into it...

Now Driving... luckily there was a guy from AUC there to greet me and drive me to Zamalek which is where my residence hall or dorm is located... Here are some pictures of Zamalek the Island and my Dorm... **these were not taken by me** But I have to give a warning to anyone who is faint of heart... don't ever EVER EVER go driving in Cairo unless you are willing to be ruthless on the road... All I have to say in that speed limits, and lane dividers seem to be guidelines to driving and not rules to it... also it seems that lights at night are not really needed... you only use them when you are pissed off at the driver in front of you! Def not for the faint of heart... but driving to Zamalek was interesting and pretty... the mosques were all lit up... but the houses and apartment buildings were right there next to the street...


Well Off to Bed... I need sleep and then I will update you more later!!!

No comments: