Friday, June 6, 2008

Day #1




Today I went out adventuring... which would seem obvious since I am in Cairo Egypt... but initially I wanted to stay in my room and be a hermit... but I meet these nice girls down at breakfast, and they convinced me in a way that I needed to go with them, one of them was also nice enough to give me some clothes to borrow so I was out of my old clothes!!! THANK YOU!!! Anyway, we took a taxi off of Zamalek, and started towards Khan al Khalil, where I did not do a lot of shopping, since that is the ancient bazaar in Cairo... But we did meet Ahmed, who does art on papyrus, and of course I loved them so bought two... but that is another story...

After we looked at his story, he started walking us through Khan al Khalil, just as the Friday call to prayers were happening, which are cool to listen to... and incase you did not know Friday is the Muslim Holy day here... He then took us through Old Cairo, aka Islamic Cairo, and we saw many old and beautiful buildings. Most of them were over shops or were older mosques... I have to say I have never seen as many mosques as I have seen today... We joke about having a Starbucks or a 7-11 on every street corner you can throw a cat and see it... well that was the way the Mosques were in Islamic Cairo!!!

We also got to go into a Mosque, I cannot remember the name of it... go figure it was something in Arabic... and well here is a picture of me being Goofy infront of the Minaret, which we also climbed up to. And that gave us a beautiful panoramic view of Cairo! Hopefully I am gonna sign up tomorrow to go on a trip to Alexandria next weekend through the university... it is gonna cost about 1000 Egyptian Pounds, which is close to $200 American Dollars, but that includes meals, and a hotel with its own personal beach!!! I am gonna possibly swim in the Med Sea!!! OMG!!!

I will post more pictures at the bottom of this blog!!!


1 comment:

Teddy and Kim said...

Hey Teara-

So glad you made it there. I know it was quite the exit for you from Dulles, but despite the headaches of getting there, I am sure it is well worth it! I am so glad to hear that you were able to get out today and start seeing what Cairo has to offer. As for the girls that you have met, they sound like a good bunch and hopefully you will have some life friends. The pictures are beautiful and we really like the one where you are looking down into a court yard. Amazing architecture! Just wanted to let you know we are proud of you and love you tons. Although we miss you much, we are so happy that you are doing something that you have always wanted to do! Kisses and hugs!
Love ya, Dad and Kim