Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Adventures!


I have definitely been continuing my adventures here in Cairo... Since my last post I went on a Felucca ride on the Nile River! Which was beautiful we did it as the sun was setting, and it was soo cool down by the River... Zamalek is a great Island to live on... I have learned that it is an upperclass island, and that it is angled towards tourists and the rich Egyptians that live here... granted that means higher prices, but everything is also better quality (meaning food wont hurt my stomach... very important)

I have also adventured into Nassr City, with my group... the girls needed clothes and the big mall is in Nassr City... On the way to Nassr City is the spot that in 1981 Anwar Sadat was assassinated for signing the Camp David Peace Accords between Egypt and Israel... I think it is cool history of Egypt since the assassination was carried out by the Muslim Brotherhood and Islamist organization here in Egypt... for those of you who are getting worried... there has not been an attack on Americans in Egypt since 2005... over 3 years ago... so I am safe, the Muslim Brotherhood no longer supports militant reactions by its members...

One thing that I find interesting about Cairo and Egypt is the number of Policemen that exist here in the City... granted some of them dont really do anything... I learned there are three different types of Police Officers on the streets of Cairo... The first group are the Officers in White, and the our the Tourist and Antiquities Police... pretty much they make sure that nothing happens to us tourists, because we are a huge part of Egypt's GDP, since we spend money here is large amounts... haha... The next group is the men in Black Uniforms, they are the Military Police, they ensure the security and safety of everyone, that and they also make sure that us tourists do not take pictures of certain buildings because for some reason Egypt has a fear for their national security... cant fault them, but sometimes we are limited in where we can take pictures... the third group of policing officers are my favorite... they are the men in Suits and Ties, they are the MORALITY POLICE... tell me that is not funny... I mean it makes sense since the country is still a Muslim Country, but they have an entire police force whose job it is to make sure that guys and girls, or any other combination, are not misbehaving or acting inappropriately in the streets...

I do have one complaint about Cairo... the Sun is amazing here... but the Farmers tan that I am developing is soooo annoying... I now have very tan forearms and a nicer tanned face... but the rest of me is turning white!!!

I am gonna post more pictures from my Felucca Ride now!

Skyline here of Cairo from the Nile River!

No comments: