Sunday, June 22, 2008

Day #2 of the Alexandria Adventures!

Day 2 in Alexandria started with the adventures in the Fort Qaitbey, or Citadel Qaitbey. Which as this amazing Citadel at the opening of the Alexandria Port, and as you can see it was a fun structure to walk around in... and it was relatively cheap for us students... I have to say I love being an AUC student, because I get cheap tickets, because essentially I am an Egyptian when it comes to prices of tourist locations. To see this entire fort, and spend 4 hours there it cost me about $2, or 10 Pounds, the exchange rate is about $1 to 5.30 Egyptian Pounds... Anyway, it was a nice hot muggy day, and we had already checked out of our Hotel, so I had to carry my huge backpack with me, as we walked through this entire fort, but it was totally worth it, I think I sweat off 10 lbs! Not really but I felt that way! Anyway, this fort was built amazingly, and it is right on the water, so by every window you would get an amazing Ocean breeze, which I loved! It was a nice place to tour, and we took our time touring it, taking tacking tourist like pictures, and just being Americans. At the fort you can walk along the wall that was used to protect it, and there are all these nooks and crannies that we would find people it, there was this one spot on the back wall of the fort, on a turret type part of the wall, where we all sat for a good 30 minutes, just relaxing, feeling the breeze, taking pictures, and just thinking, which I know is a waste of time, but it felt soo good to just sit and think, and watch Alexandria! Like I said we spent a good 3-4 hours at the fort. I took alot of photos there. After the fort we headed towards the train station, since our train left in 2 1/2 hours, and while trying to find food near the train station, we got lost in a sense, We were following a guide book, and well the restaurants they mentioned, where not where they were suppose to be, so instead we had walked around the shopping part of Alexandria for about 45 minutes trying to find food, we finally walked into this one Hotel to ask (my idea, since I saw the Hotel and thought it might have a restaurant) and we ended up eating at this AMAZING hotel restaurant called the Versailles, and it was in this nice ballroom type room with the tacky Baroque decorations that I LOVE! After the meal we had come across this bakery that had the most delicious cookies and cakes, so we got some snacks there and then took the train back to Cairo.

I would say the entire weekend was AMAZING, but tiring, we did alot of walking but we saw soo much and I got to swim in the Mediterranean Sea!

I am going to post a blog of just pictures after this one! Dont worry I have alot of pictures from Alexandria!

No comments: