Monday, July 7, 2008

The Most AMAZING Day, at least I think so...

Today started out like any normal day, I woke up, I went to classes, and I went to Haraiya, but then it all changed... I dont know how it came up, but I was talking to one of my friends from my Arabic class on the bus back to the dorms, he is a pretty chill guy, and well we started talking, and he told me he is volunteering at this place in Heliopolis, and that he teaches English to Arab Students... well I told him that sounded amazing, and did they need any more help because I would love to participate... so this afternoon, I went with him to AUC, and where we meet up with Even, who is a Syracuse native, and had been helping at this place for a while... it is called ICT, International Center for Technology, or atleast that is what I think and remember it might be called... anyway, once we meet Evin and Kevin, we traveled by Metro to Heliopolis... the Metro was an expereince, it was not air conditioned, and today happened to be a hot and muggy day... it was about a 15 minute metro ride, and I was sweating so much at the end... anyway, after all was said and done, Andrew and I were teamed up to teach a class of about 15 or so English...

THIS WAS THE MOST GRATIFYING EXPERIENCE I HAVE HAD SINCE I CAME TO EGYPT... I would love to make humanitarian work my career, granted they don't make alot of money, but I enjoyed every minute of it, most of the students were older than me, but that did not matter, they were interested in knowing Andrew and I, and America, and English... Ahni, the coordinator of the program I had actually meet before, go figure, when we went to Latex on my birthday, and so it was funny to see him again when I showed up at ICT, but anyway, it was funny while Andrew and I were trying to teach the Egyptians about Complex Sentences, and grammar, it made me realize that I dont know alot of grammar, and that my English grammar is awful... I was lucky that as we were trying to go over it, it started to ring a bell, and I was able to explain it... but it was funny, many of the Egyptians understood grammar rules better than I did... go figure... but they mainly want to concentrate on Speaking English, they can already write English pretty well...

I thought I would share this event, it was amazing... I love and miss you all...

No comments: