Sunday, July 6, 2008

Adventures into the Desert Part II...

I left off my last entry talking about the white formations, well it turned out that we ended up camping near to these formations in the White Desert, which was so cool... our drivers set up the cars so that way it was in a U-shape, and but it was funny because the sand that we set up camp on was very loose, and the cars got stuck, so we had to push, which was a very prevalent theme of the weekend... they set up the camp so quickly it was hard to believe, but the sunset on the Sahara was amazing, the sun shone off the white structures and made everything so pretty and amazing, I would not have changed this weekend for anything, no matter how hot and sweaty I got... Once the sun set it was even more amazing to see all the stars come out and twinkle into existence... if my camera was able to take pictures of the night sky you would not believe the number of stars that I saw... it was the most amazing sight to see, the stars were so mesmerizing, and the number of shooting stars that I saw made sure that I had enough wishes, that if they all came true life would be a very happy place... haha... after camp got set up the drivers started working on cooking our food, which smelled good, so good in fact that it attracted a desert fox, yes I saw a Desert fox, all big eared, and big eyed, it got really close to us, and our camp, he was soo cute, and after we fed him a piece of bread with peanut butter, it stuck around, and it also brought a friend with it, they fought at one point and were making the funniest sounds ever... after all was said and done, we had to stop star gazing, relaxing, and chatting for dinner, which we were all looking forward to... they had cooked these aluminium foil foods in the embers of the fire, and it smelled so good... and it turned out to be, you guessed it, Pigeon... this time I ate more than a bite of pigeon, and surprisingly it was much more tastier this way than when I had tried it before... I guess there is something to be said about hunger making you more willing to eat anything, because I was starving... haha... it is now 11 pm, and I am exhausted, but we still had fireworks to explode, one of the guys from our group was really patriotic, and well he went and spent about $80 on fireworks, which made the entire night so much fun... I think it is to cool to say that I watched a firework show in the Sahara Desert... the funniest part was the "grand finale" when Darshan tried to explode a bunch of fireworks at the same time, but one of them had tipped over, and came flying at the group... the thing landed about 10 feet away from the group and exploded, it was hilarious and scary at the same time... but the Egyptians loved us and our fireworks... one of them got so excited about the fireworks he went to help Darshan explode them...

The funny thing about the desert it we were told it was suppose to be really cold, and well, it was not... I had planned ahead for the cold and had a sweater that I was ready to wear, I ended up using at a pillow... and even then I was really hot for most of the night, when I woke up the following morning, the calm and quiet of the Sahara was intense, and calming, scary and yet exciting all at the same time... we wandered around the camp site for a little bit longer, and then we started to pack up, which was funny since one of the cars was not starting, so we tried jumping it, and then we had to roll start the car... as you can see by the picture... haha... once we got the car started, it was almost 11 am, it was hard to believe how hot it can get in the desert, it was a nice comfortable 85-90 degrees when we got up, and as the morning progressed it started getting hotter and hotter to the point where it was about 100 degrees... which is funny that I would consider 85 to 90 degrees cool... haha... after all was said and done we went to one last place in the white desert, this was this formation that had these amazing views, as well as beautiful quartz crystals growing naturally... here is me being artistic, and trying to take pictures of these beautiful crystals... they were so SHINY... After everything that I saw this weekend I was very glad to get back to the noise and pollution that is Cairo, mainly because I really really really wanted a shower... which was glorious, and amazing... I was never happier to come back to modern conveniences, like air conditioners, and showers... well off to study and relax... till later... :-*

No comments: